The 315th Bomb Wing was under the command of Brigadier General Frank Armstrong. The first units to arrive at Northwest Field Guam were personnel of the 315th Wing HQ, 16th and 501st Bomb Groups in April, 1945. The 331st and 502nd Bomb Groups arrived in May, 1945.
There were two airfields on the northern end of the island of Guam. They were North Field and Northwest Field. North Field, now Andersen Air Force Base, was on the north east end of the island near Pati Point and Northwest Field on the north west end of the island near Ritidian Point. North Field hosted the 314th Bomb Wing. The former Northwest Field is now an auxiliary field for Andersen AFB.
Northwest Field underwent construction in 1944-1945 and became the home of the 20th Air Force, 315th Bomb Wing. The first B-29s arrived there in May of 1945 after undergoing crew training in the US. Units were formed at Dalhart AAF, Texa and personnel were then assigned to their training bases for crew training.
331st BOMB GROUP
501st BOMB GROUP
502nd BOMB GROUP
The Last Mission