April 22-26, 2004

Sheraton Hotel - Reston, VA

Since the reunion was held in the nation's capital, changes were being made, it seemed, on an hourly basis. Thus, I made my flight to Dulles early on Thursday in order to make the Mount Vernon trip. That was changed to Sunday, which did not bother me, because it gave me the entire day to spend at the Udvar Hazy Aviation Museum.

(I have decided to make this year's web page much smaller than usual due to the amount of time it takes to build these pages. I took over 200 photos- 87 at the Udvar-Hazy Aviation Museum alone. Anyone wanting a CD of all my photos is welcome to one for the cost of the CD, padded envelope and my time to make it - $10).

Thursday, April 22, 2004

Udvar Hazy Aviation Museum


Friday - April 23, 2004
A Guided Bus Tour of Washington, DC

Many of us signed up for a visit to the White House. As it happens in Washington, the 400 allowed turned into only 100 allowed. Luckily I was one of the 100. We were only allowed to take in our photo ID's- no cameras or purses, so the photos you see here are taken from the web. These are the rooms we were allowed to view. One of our lucky 100, Matt Dorrian, got to sleep in the White House. He was not feeling well, and the Secret Service agents escorted him to a private room where the allowed him to sleep on a gorgeous couch.

Blue Room

East Room

Cross Hall

Green Room

Dining Room

Red Room


Our next stop was the Capitol Building. The United States Capitol is among the most symbolically important and architecturally impressive buildings in the nation. It has housed the meeting chambers of the House of Representatives and the Senate for two centuries. The Capitol, which was started in 1793, has been through many construction phases. It stands today as a monument to the American people and their government.


Our next stop was the World War II Memorial. Our tour guide had decided it was to be a drive by. I decided differently. I told him that I would stand in front of the bus and they would have to drive over me - that we WERE stopping - that it WAS open to visitors. So stop we did. Here are a few of my 30 + photos.

Our final stop before heading back to the hotel to change for our dinner on the Potomac was Arlington National Cemetery. For me this was a totally inspiring and holy place. We did not have time to make it to the Tomb of the Unknowns but I walked a lot of hallowed ground there and saw and heard a burial there which brought tears to my eyes and sadness to my heart.

Dinner on the Potomac

On Friday evening it began to rain in bucketfuls. We had such beautiful weather all day, that no one really cared. So off we went back into the city for our boat rode down the Potomac at night and dinner and we were tired and hungry!

Saturday, April 24, 2004

Saturday AM the business meeting was held. I did not take any photos. It was decided that we are definitely holding the next reunion in Las Vegas, Ed Keyser has resigned as Association Chairman and Millard "Lefty" Palmer is the new Chairman, Andrew Fleishmann resigned as Director and Kapeghian Katchadoor (Cappy) is the new Director. They also voted in the Legacy Membership which is : Membership Criteria: 'Non-voting legacy memberships are available to the following members of any man or woman who served at any time in the World War II 73rd Bomb Wing: Children, grandchildren, brothers, sisters, nephews and nieces and family members may now become Legacy members.'

The Men's and Ladies' Luncheons followed. I do not have any photos of the Men's luncheons, but have lots of the ladies.

Ladies' Luncheon

Saturday Night was the Recognition Banquet. Since I still was not feeling well, I went to the banquet and left immediately following dinner. I did not hear the speaker, who I was told was excellent. I also did not get any photos.

Sunday, April 25, 2004

All day Sunday was the Mount Vernon tour. It included a 3 course lunch and walking tour of the house and gardens. The weather was perfect and it was an educational experience as well as an enjoyable morning an afternoon! These are only some of the many photos I have.



Sunday night was another banquet followed by the Proud Line Up, the singing of "Off We Go Into the Wild Blue Yonder" and the dancing. Again, since I was not feeling my best, I did not stay for the dancing and did not get as many photos as I would have liked, but here are some of my best.

I would like to thank Cathy Debbrecht and her husband for again doing a wonderful job of putting this reunion together and making it run as smooth as possible in DC where nothing runs smooth! The hotel did everything to make things right, the food was excellent and I had a great time!