My wife, Jean, and I met a Japanese lady, Mrs. Nori Nagasawa, by accident when we all were vacationing in Hawaii. We we on the island of Maui and met Nori one morning during a church service in a little Hawaiian church. We found out we were staying at the same condo. We became good friends. I accused her of being one of the women that beat up on me when I was captured and she accused me of burning her house down.

Well, her house was burned down later in the war. But, before that, we were neighbors although we didn't know it. I was held by the Kempei Tai, the secret police, in a cell in prison downtown Tokyo. Hap, later, was put in the same prison and was in a cell next to the one I had been in. I, meantime, had been moved to another prison run by the Kempei Tai. Nori, a young teenager, lived not far away. When the fire raids were in progress her home was burned down. Hap and I were moved out to Omori POW camp. Nori moved also and again lived not far from Omori.

Robert F. Goldsworthy

So, nearly fifty years later, Nori and I met and became friends. She is also a sort of historian and she began to investigate where my plane went down. With the help of a Japanese lady, Akiko Nakamura, also a historian, they found where my plane crashed, they found people who saw me come down in my parachute and they found the widow of the pilot who shot me down. He was a Maj. Kobayashi. He survived the war but was killed in a jet crash later. Mrs. Chieko Kobayashi had his diary and in it he describes shooting down a B-29 Dec. 3, 1944 and being shot down himself. The action was accurately described. He shot us down, we shot him down.

When this story first broke a local newsman interviewed me and, by chance, took pictures of my flying shoes -- the only thing I saved from the POW days. The Japanese were fascinated and I shipped them to the curator of the Tokyo museum along with some other memorabilia.

They were displayed, plus my crew picture, for two years in the Tokyo Edo Museum.


Col. Richard Carmichel, Lt. Col. Robert Goldsworthy and
Col. Richard T. King on hospital ship right after release.

I have the shoes back now. I keep them at our cabin at a north Idaho lake and,when I fix a large dinner, I wear them and remember the times I wore them when I was starving.


Standing Left to Right:1/Lt. Walter J. Patykuls-Bombardie, r 1/Lt. Benjamin F. Edwards-Navigator, Maj. Robert F. Goldsworthy-Commander, 2/Lt. Robert E. Sollock (replaced by Col. Richard T. King on that fateful flight), Pilot 1/Lt. Henry W. Warde-Flight Engineer
Kneeling Left to Right: Sgt. Thomas M. Goffrey-Rt. Gun, S/Sgt. James P. Corrigan-Tail Gun, S/Sgt. Carl T. Wells-Radar, Cpl. Harold J. Schroeder-Lft. Gun, Cpl. Robert E. Abel-Ring Gun, W Sgt. John A. Wright-Radio


Bob Goldsworthy and Hap Halloran 10/21/45 after their release